After graduating with an engineering degree and then an MBA from Ohio State, Paul started on the management development track at Ford Motor Company in Detroit. After five years, he departed to start a staffing company with a partner. They sold it to a publicly traded firm for $2.9 million five years later. Along the way, Paul was Finalist for Ernst & Young’s Michigan Entrepreneur of the Year two years straight. Paul later entered the real estate sector, where he completed 85 real estate investments and exits, appeared on an HGTV Special, rehabbed and managed dozens of rental properties, developed a waterfront subdivision, and started two successful online real estate marketing firms. Three successful developments, including assisting with the development of a Hyatt hotel and a multifamily housing project, led him into the multifamily investment arena. Paul co-hosts a wealth-building podcast called How to Lose Money and is a frequent contributor to BiggerPockets, producing live video and blog content weekly. Paul is the author of The Perfect Investment- Create Enduring Wealth from the Historic Shift to Multifamily Housing(2016) and has a forthcoming book on self-storage investing. Paul is also the Managing Director of two commercial real estate funds at Wellings Capital.
“I am stunned by the profits that some of the operators we’re investing with are getting. I’m talking about people doubling or even tripling the equity on many of their deals within one to two years.” — Paul Moore // Life Worth Chasing Podcast // Tweet This!
“The perfect situation right now is for an operator who’s willing to bridge the gap. An operator who would go in and pay a fair price to many of these retiring moms and pops, buy these mobile home parks, and upgrade them” — Paul Moore // Life Worth Chasing Podcast // Tweet This!
“When I’m talking about a premium, I mean a serious premium, to sell to an institutional investor like a life insurance company or pension fund. That opportunity is what we’re taking advantage of right now. It won’t be there forever.” — Paul Moore // Life Worth Chasing Podcast // Tweet This!
Takeaways and Key Topics:
- Consider the seven paths to commercial real estate
- Deal Finding
- Capital Raising
- Win the lottery
- Be an active/passive or passive/passive investor
- Get a job in real estate
- Get a mentor
- Paid coaches can be very valuable
- Get an investment management team
- Invest in mobile home lots/storage facilities
- Calculate average storage usage in an area
- Find storage lots on main roads
- Invest in decent/high-income areas
- BiggerPockets Articles – https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/contributors/paulmoore
- How to Lose Money Podcast – https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-to-lose-money-business-stories-life-lessons-navigating/id1170805348?mt=2
- Click Here for the Mobile Home Park Special Report
- Click Here for the Self-Storage Special Report
- Click Here for a PDF Copy of The Perfect Investment
- Click Here for Wellings Capital’s Criteria for Selecting a Multifamily Market